Tennessee Malpractice Insurance
Table of Contents
- How to buy medical malpractice insurance in Tennessee.
- How to save money on your malpractice insurance.
- How much does medical malpractice insurance cost in Tennessee?
- Medical malpractice requirements in Tennessee.
- Best medical malpractice insurance companies in Tennessee.
- Why partner with Cunningham Group in Tennessee?
- Historic medical malpractice insurance rates in Tennessee – since 2000.
- History of malpractice insurance in Tennessee.
- Resources for Physicians.
Tennessee Malpractice Insurance
Tennessee has moderate malpractice insurance rates. State Volunteer Mutual Insurance Company (SVMIC) is the largest insurer in the state, but there are a number of insurance company options to choose from.
Our 2023 Physician Buyers Guide for purchasing malpractice insurance in Tennessee gives you the information necessary to obtain the strongest, most financially secure policy at the best price. When shopping for coverage, you need a full view of the Tennessee marketplace to find the company that best fits your situation. Choose a broker that can offer multiple quotes from all the major malpractice insurance companies in Tennessee.
How to buy malpractice insurance in Tennessee.
The best way to buy malpractice coverage is to work with a reputable malpractice insurance broker in Tennessee who can generate multiple quotes. Your broker will walk you through the lengthy insurance application and underwriting process. Click to get medical malpractice insurance quotes from every major Tennessee malpractice insurance company.
Typically, the malpractice insurance purchasing process goes like this:
- Submit your information for your free medical malpractice insurance quote from every major insurance company in Tennessee.
- One of our veteran malpractice insurance agents who specializes in the Tennessee market will contact you to learn more about your specific needs.
- We shop your coverage to every major insurance company in Tennessee.
- We present you with a number of insurance quotes and give you the information necessary to make an educated and informed decision. Don’t worry. We’re here every step of the way, helping you get the best price with the best company.
- At renewal time, we restart the process of shopping your coverage among every major carrier to keep your policy properly priced.
How to save money on your malpractice insurance.
- The easiest way to save money on your medical malpractice insurance policy is by working with a broker who has the access to generate quotes from every major insurance company, offering an accurate view of the marketplace. As one of the top brokers in Tennessee, we can guide you through the application and underwriting process so you’re confident you secured the best price with the right insurer for your situation.
- The most common limits in Tennessee are $1 million/$3 million. Limits of liability play a major role in determining the overall cost of your policy. Some companies will offer lower limits to save you money. We don’t recommend this. We want your risks fully indemnified so you never have to pay an award out of pocket. Let us save you money by shopping your coverage rather than skimp on protection.
- Check out our 7 secrets your medical malpractice insurance agent won’t tell you page to get insider information on buying coverage in Tennessee.
How much does medical malpractice insurance cost in Tennessee?
Rates for physician malpractice insurance don’t vary much depending on where you practice within the state. Most major insurance companies classify Tennessee as a single territory, which means your specialty’s base rate does not vary depending on your practice address. But you still want multiple quotes to get an accurate view of the marketplace. This is one of the many reasons it’s important to work with an insurance agency that specializes in medical malpractice insurance. Below are mature, base rates with no credits or discounts. We typically get our clients a 30-50% reduction from these rates:
- Internal Medicine Average Rate $6,186
- General Surgeon Average Rate $25,925
- OB/gyn – Average Rate $33,530
The cost of your malpractice coverage can vary greatly due to a number of factors, including your claims history, the type of patient interactions you have, the insurance company you are placed with and more. Cunningham Group created this premium estimation tool by drawing from its database of thousands of physician clients. Below are five malpractice estimation premium buckets to gauge how expensive your coverage should be. The buckets are numbered 1 to 5 — with #1 being the least expensive and #5 the most costly.
Medical malpractice requirements in Tennessee.
Limits of Liability: The most common limits of liability in Tennessee are $1 million per claim with an annual aggregate cap of $3 million.
Most hospitals require a physician carry malpractice insurance prior to granting admitting privileges. Some of the hospital systems requiring this include, but are not limited to:, CHI Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga, Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis, and TriStar Skyline Medical Center in Nashville.
Best Medical malpractice insurance companies in Tennessee.
- Medical Protective
- The Doctors Company
- State Volunteer
- Lexington Insurance Co.
Why partner with Cunningham Group?
Partnering with Cunningham Group will give you a full view of the Tennessee marketplace.. Our veteran insurance agents average 10+ years of industry experience. Let us help you secure medical malpractice insurance quotes from every major insurance company in Tennessee.
Historic Medical Malpractice Insurance Rates in Tennessee for Physicians.
Brief History and other important facts of medical malpractice insurance in Tennessee.
Tennessee has a relatively favorable climate for tort law, ranking number 34 in the Institute for Legal Reform’s 2019 report, Ranking the States: A Survey of the Fairness and Reasonableness of State Liability Systems. Additionally, according to data from the National Practitioner Databank (NPDB), the Volunteer State had fewer paid claims than the national average, with only 0.53 claims per 100 physicians, compared to the U.S. average of 0.97 per 100 physicians. All this helps make the Tennessee medical malpractice marketplace a good one for physicians.
Tort Reform in Tennessee
Several reforms to the state medical liability system have been successfully implemented in Tennessee, including a $750,000 cap on noneconomic damages (up to $1 million in cases of catastrophic injury) instituted in 2011. Previous reforms were passed in 2008, including reforms to joint-and-several liability, limits on attorney fees and other measures designed to curtail frivolous lawsuits.
The state’s noneconomic damage cap is currently being challenged as part of a lawsuit brought by Tennessee against makers of opioid painkillers. Tucked inside the lawsuit, is a challenge to the damage caps in Tennessee’s Civil Justice Act of 2011.
Resources for Tennessee Physicians.
Tennessee Medical Association
Medical Malpractice Insurance Guide
Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
Tennessee Department of Health: Licensure Verification
Tennessee Osteopathic Medical Association
All MD Tennessee Healthcare Defense Attorney Listing