Start Your Custom Quote Process™
How Much Will Medical Malpractice Insurance Cost This Year?
Take a deep dive into physician malpractice insurance rates by state.
Estimated Annual Rates
- Internal Medicine Average Rate
- General Surgeon Average Rate
- OB/gyn – Average Rate
*These are mature, base-rate malpractice insurance premiums. You can expect to pay 30-50% less for your malpractice coverage when purchasing your insurance through us. We shop your coverage to every major insurance company to get you the maximum number of discounts and credits. Rates can vary GREATLY within each state. This estimation tool is for research purposes only.
Does it Cost Extra to Use an Insurance Agent or Broker?
In the medical malpractice insurance industry, agent commissions are already built into your premium, so you pay the same amount for coverage whether you use an agent or purchase directly from the insurance company.
What Influences Your Medical Malpractice Insurance Cost?
Top 5 things physicians should know about their malpractice cost.
There are dozens of factors that an underwriter will use to determine the cost of your medical malpractice insurance, but here are the top 5 things they’re looking at when getting your final price:
- Location: The county level is where the prices are set, so always look at the county level instead of the state. A good example of this is Illinois where an OB/gyn in Cook County (Chicago) can pay $100k and one downstate will pay $50k.
- Medical Specialty: Your medical speciality. The insurance industry has a lot of data that look at the risks from each speciality. This does play a role.
- Patient Interaction: Your patient interaction. What type of medicine are you practicing?
- Your History: Your claims, board and licensing history.
- Limits of Liability: Limits of Liability. Aka…..how much is the insurance company going to put up in your defense. For example, many states use the standard limits of $1M/$3M, which is $1 million per claim, with a maximum coverage of 3 claims ($3 million total).
Why Have Medical Malpractice Premiums Increased So Much?
After more than a decade of consistent premium rates, medical practitioners are now finding themselves in a position of paying much higher rates for the same coverage or opting for less coverage overall. Malpractice insurance rates seemed to have climbed since COVID 19 in the chaotic environment of the medical industry. Doctors on the frontlines have been flooded with patients and are doing their best to provide treatments while keeping up with the latest guidelines. This naturally has exposed physicians to a greater risk for potential malpractice lawsuits.
There are ways to save on insurance premiums. There are several simple discounts that can be applied to save you money on your premium. It helps to work with an experienced insurance broker who is familiar with these discounts and will advocate those discounts to the insurance carriers for you.
Historic Medical Malpractice Insurance Rates By State
Our unique malpractice insurance rate data gives you a look back over the last 20+ years.
Why Doctors Choose the Cunningham Group
Our veteran medical malpractice insurance agents exclusively focus on helping doctors and medical students navigate the medical liability insurance market. With access to every major medical malpractice insurance company in every state, our team is uniquely qualified to get you the best coverage at the most affordable price. Most agents only have access to one or two medical malpractice insurance companies. Our almost-universal access lets us shop your coverage among nearly every available company, which means malpractice insurers compete for your business.
How Does the Process Work?
- You will submit your information through a secure medical malpractice insurance quote form.
- You can always call us and speak to an agent immediately.
- A veteran medical malpractice insurance broker will be assigned to you.
- We shop your Medical Director Insurance to every major malpractice insurance company in your state.
- Your agent will take the time and go over all of your options with you, explaining everything to make certain you make the right decision.
- We get you your insurance policy at the best price with a major insurance company.
- At renewal time: We start the shopping process all over again, getting you quotes from all the major malpractice insurance companies to again make certain you’re properly priced.
Request your free medical malpractice insurance quote and learn why more people choose us over anyone else in the nation.