Hawaii Malpractice Insurance
Table of Contents
- How to buy medical malpractice insurance in Hawaii.
- How to save money on your malpractice insurance.
- How much does medical malpractice insurance cost in Hawaii?
- Medical malpractice requirements in Hawaii.
- Best medical malpractice insurance companies in Hawaii.
- Why partner with Cunningham Group in Hawaii?
- Historic medical malpractice insurance rates in Hawaii – since 2000.
- History of malpractice insurance in Hawaii.
- Resources for Physicians.
Hawaii Malpractice Insurance
Premiums are moderate for Hawaii malpractice insurance coverage. We’ve helped hundreds of physicians get quotes from every major malpractice insurance company in Hawaii, helping them secure coverage at the lowest price.
Our 2023 Physician Buyers Guide for purchasing malpractice insurance in Hawaii gives you the information necessary to obtain the strongest, most financially secure policy at the best price. When shopping for coverage, you need a full view of the Hawaii marketplace to find the company that best fits your situation. Choose a broker that can offer multiple quotes from all the major malpractice insurance companies in Hawaii.
How to buy malpractice insurance in Hawaii.
The best way to buy malpractice coverage is to work with a reputable malpractice insurance broker in Hawaii who can generate multiple quotes. Your broker will walk you through the lengthy insurance application and underwriting process. Click to get medical malpractice insurance quotes from every major Hawaii malpractice insurance company.
Typically, the malpractice insurance purchasing process goes like this:
- Submit your information for your free medical malpractice insurance quote from every major insurance company in Hawaii.
- One of our veteran malpractice insurance agents who specializes in the Hawaii market will contact you to learn more about your specific needs.
- We shop your coverage to every major insurance company in Hawaii.
- We present you with a number of insurance quotes and give you the information necessary to make an educated and informed decision. Don’t worry. We’re here every step of the way, helping you get the best price with the best company.
- At renewal time, we restart the process of shopping your coverage among every major carrier to keep your policy properly priced.
How to save money on your malpractice insurance.
- The easiest way to save money on your medical malpractice insurance policy is by working with a broker who has the access to generate quotes from every major insurance company, offering an accurate view of the marketplace. As one of the top brokers in Hawaii, we can guide you through the application and underwriting process so you’re confident you secured the best price with the right insurer for your situation.
- The most common limits in Hawaii are $1 million/$3 million. Limits of liability play a major role in determining the overall cost of your policy. Some companies will offer lower limits to save you money. We don’t recommend this. We want your risks fully indemnified so you never have to pay an award out of pocket. Let us save you money by shopping your coverage rather than skimp on protection..
- Check out our 7 secrets your medical malpractice insurance agent won’t tell you page to get insider information on buying coverage in Hawaii.
How much does medical malpractice insurance cost in Hawaii?
Rates for physician malpractice insurance don’t vary much depending on where you practice within the state. Most major insurance companies classify Hawaii as a single territory, which means your specialty’s base rate does not vary depending on your practice address. But you still want multiple quotes to get an accurate view of the marketplace. This is one of the many reasons it’s important to work with an insurance agency that specializes in medical malpractice insurance. Below are mature, base rates with no credits or discounts. We typically get our clients a 30-50% reduction from these rates:
- Internal Medicine Average Rate $7,838
- General Surgeon Average Rate $28,217
- OB/gyn – Average Rate $37,231
The cost of your malpractice coverage can vary greatly due to a number of factors, including your claims history, the type of patient interactions you have, the insurance company you are placed with and more. Cunningham Group created this premium estimation tool by drawing from its database of thousands of physician clients. Below are five malpractice estimation premium buckets to gauge how expensive your coverage should be. The buckets are numbered 1 to 5 — with #1 being the least expensive and #5 the most costly.
Medical malpractice requirements in Hawaii.
Limits of Liability: The most common limits of liability in Hawaii are $1 million per claim with an annual aggregate cap of $3 million.
Most hospitals require a physician carry malpractice insurance prior to granting admitting privileges. Some of the hospital systems requiring this include, but are not limited to, The Queens Medical Center and Straub Medical Center located in Honolulu, Pali Momi Medical Center in Aiea and Adventist Health Castle in Kailua.
Best Medical malpractice insurance companies in Hawaii.
- The Doctors Company
- Medical Protective
Why partner with Cunningham Group?
Partnering with Cunningham Group will give you a full view of the Hawaii marketplace.. Our veteran insurance agents average 10+ years of industry experience. Let us help you secure medical malpractice insurance quotes from every major insurance company in Hawaii.
Historic Medical Malpractice Insurance Rates in Hawaii for Physicians.
Brief History and other important facts of medical malpractice insurance in Hawaii.
Rising cost of doing business and shrinking reimbursement rates have contributed to many physicians taking early retirement or leaving the state for the mainland. Hawaii has been facing these access-to-care issues for many years, and, beginning in 1995, the state legislature passed several measures to help ameliorate the problem.
Tort Reform in Hawaii
The Hawaii legislature passed several medical liability reform measures in 1995 in response to the state’s access-to-care issues. These reforms included a $375,000 cap on noneconomic damages, modifications to the state’s joint-and-several liability doctrine and the implementation of medical claims conciliation panels, which review potential cases and issue advisory opinions on liability and damages. Review by the panel is a prerequisite to filing a claim, and the panel will determine whether the defendant—or defendants—was negligent and determine the amount of economic, noneconomic and punitive damages. The panel’s findings are nonbinding and both parties have the option of rejecting its recommendation in favor taking the claim to court. The law also allows for a judge to require a medical malpractice action be arbitrated in lieu of the panel hearing. Also in 1995, Hawaii adopted the doctrine of comparative negligence, wherein the plaintiff’s action is barred if his or her negligence exceeds the combined negligence of all other defendants. Otherwise, the claimant’s recovery is diminished in proportion to his or her degree of negligence. As of 2019, there has not been any tort reform of note.
Resources for Hawaii Physicians.
Hawaii Medical Association
Medical Malpractice Insurance Guide
Hawaii Department of Insurance
Professional and Vocational Licensing
Hawaii Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons
Hawai’i Health Information Exchange
All MD Hawaii Healthcare Defense Attorney Listing