Delaware Malpractice Insurance
Table of Contents
- How to buy malpractice insurance in Delaware.
- How to save money on your malpractice insurance.
- How much does medical malpractice insurance cost in Delaware?
- Medical malpractice requirements in Delaware.
- Best medical malpractice insurance companies in Delaware.
- Why partner with Cunningham Group in Delaware?
- Historic medical malpractice insurance rates in Delaware – since 2000.
- History of malpractice insurance in Delaware.
- Resources for Physicians.
Delaware Malpractice Insurance
Delaware physicians face higher malpractice insurance premiums than much of the rest of the country, but rates are moderate when compared with neighboring mid-Atlantic and northeastern states.
Our 2023 Physician Buyers Guide for purchasing malpractice insurance in Delaware gives you the information necessary to obtain the strongest, most financially secure policy at the best price. When shopping for coverage, you need a full view of the Delaware marketplace to find the company that best fits your situation. Choose a broker that can offer multiple quotes from all the major malpractice insurance companies in Delaware.
How to buy malpractice insurance in Delaware
The best way to buy malpractice coverage is to work with a reputable malpractice insurance broker in Delaware who can generate multiple quotes. Your broker will walk you through the lengthy insurance application and underwriting process. Click to get medical malpractice insurance quotes from every major Delaware malpractice insurance company.
Typically, the malpractice insurance purchasing process goes like this:
- Submit your information for your free medical malpractice insurance quote from every major insurance company in Delaware.
- One of our veteran malpractice insurance agents who specializes in the Delaware market will contact you to learn more about your specific needs.
- We shop your coverage to every major insurance company in Delaware.
- We present you with a number of insurance quotes and give you the information necessary to make an educated and informed decision. Don’t worry. We’re here every step of the way, helping you get the best price with the best company.
At renewal time, we restart the process of shopping your coverage among every major carrier to keep your policy properly priced.
How to save money on your malpractice insurance
- The easiest way to save money on your medical malpractice insurance policy is by working with a broker who has the access to generate quotes from every major insurance company, offering an accurate view of the marketplace. As one of the top brokers in Delaware, we can guide you through the application and underwriting process so you’re confident you secured the best price with the right insurer for your situation.
- The most common limits in Delaware are $1 million/$3 million. Limits of liability play a major role in determining the overall cost of your policy. Some companies will offer lower limits to save you money. We don’t recommend this. We want your risks fully indemnified so you never have to pay an award out of pocket. Let us save you money by shopping your coverage rather than skimp on protection..
- Check out our 7 secrets your medical malpractice insurance agent won’t tell you page to get insider information on buying coverage in Delaware.
How much does medical malpractice insurance cost in Delaware?
Rates for physician malpractice insurance don’t vary much depending on where you practice within the state. Most major insurance companies classify Delaware as a single territory, which means your specialty’s base rate does not vary depending on your practice address. But you still want multiple quotes to get an accurate view of the marketplace. This is one of the many reasons it’s important to work with an insurance agency that specializes in medical malpractice insurance. Below are mature, base rates with no credits or discounts. We typically get our clients a 30-50% reduction from these rates:
- Internal Medicine Average Rate $10,288
- General Surgeon Average Rate $45,105
- OB/gyn – Average Rate $68,787
The cost of your malpractice coverage can vary greatly due to a number of factors, including your claims history, the type of patient interactions you have, the insurance company you are placed with and more. Cunningham Group created this premium estimation tool by drawing from its database of thousands of physician clients. Below are five malpractice estimation premium buckets to gauge how expensive your coverage should be. The buckets are numbered 1 to 5 — with #1 being the least expensive and #5 the most costly.
Medical malpractice requirements in Delaware
Limits of Liability: The most common limits of liability in Delaware are $1 million per claim with an annual aggregate cap of $3 million.
Most hospitals require a physician carry malpractice insurance prior to granting admitting privileges. Some of the hospital systems requiring this include, but are not limited to, Yale New Haven Hospital, Hartford Hospital, Bridgeport Hospital and Bristol Hospital.
Best Medical malpractice insurance companies in Delaware
- Medical Protective
- The Doctors Company
Why partner with Cunningham Group?
Partnering with Cunningham Group will give you a full view of the Delaware marketplace. We can get you quotes from all the major insurance companies and help you choose the policy that best fits your needs and budget. Our veteran insurance agents average 10+ years of industry experience. Let us help you secure medical malpractice insurance quotes from every major insurance company in Delaware.
Historic Medical Malpractice Insurance Rates in Delaware for Physicians
Brief History and other important facts of medical malpractice insurance in Delaware.
Delaware physicians face higher insurance costs than in much of the rest of the country, but rates are quite moderate when compared with neighboring mid-Atlantic and northeastern states. The reasons for this are not entirely clear, as Delaware has never enacted significant reforms to its medical liability system. However, Delaware’s tort system has consistently been ranked No. 1 by the Institute for Legal Reform’s survey, Lawsuit Climate: Ranking the States. Founded by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 1998 to address the country’s litigation explosion, the Institute for Legal Reform is a national organization, representing the United States’ business community, with the mission of making America’s legal system simpler, fairer and faster for everyone. According to the 2015 report, Delaware ranked No. 1 overall, as well as in several sub-categories, including overall treatment of tort and contract litigation; having and enforcing meaningful venue requirements; treatment of class action and mass consolidation suits; damages; timeliness of summary judgment or dismissal; and judges’ competence. The First State ranked No. 2 in the report’s other categories, including discovery; scientific and technical evidence; judges’ impartiality; and juries’ fairness.
Tort Reform in Delaware
Delaware has not passed major reforms to its medical liability system. However, several minor reforms have been implemented, including collateral source reform, limits on attorney fees, periodic payments and the requirement that an Affidavit of Merit be filed for malpractice cases. Additionally, the state has created Medical Negligence Review Panels, which evaluate evidence and provide an opinion on cases. These reviews are admissible in court, but are not considered conclusive.